Lent starts on Ash Wednesday, which this year is on 6th March. There will be the usual service of Holy Communion in the morning at 10 o’clock. In the evening there will be a service of Holy Communion with hymns at 7.30 pm. For those who want it the imposition of ashes will be available at both services.
The last day of Lent is the day before Easter Day. This year Easter Day is on Sunday 21st April. The week leading up to that is Holy Week, in which we mark the events of the last week of Our Lord’s earthly life.
Lent is traditionally a period of fasting and also of reflection and preparation. During Lent, in addition to our usual services and events, we have a series of Lent Lunches (or Suppers) to raise money for the Bishop’s Lent Appeal and also a Lent Course, in which we try to deepen our understanding of one or more aspects of our faith.
This year we will join the course which the Church at Perton is running. which is called “Lifting the Lid”. The course will be run at two different times and people can swop between them if necessary.
- Tuesday evenings at 7.30 pm from 12th March to 16th April
- Wednesday mornings at 10.30 am from 13th March to 17th April.
Read more in the article which appeared in the February Parish News.
Lent Lunches and Suppers
On Saturday 9th March we join with the Church at Perton in hosting a Covenanting Churches Lunch at the Church at Perton.
Our own Lent Suppers and Lunches, with donations for the Bishop’s Lent Appeal are being held on Wednesdays.
- Wednesday 13th March – 12.30 pm – Lent Lunch hosted by Sue Riches
- Wednesday 27th March – 7.00 pm – Lent Supper hosted by Anna Davies
- Wednesday 3rd April – 12.30 pm – Lent Lunch hosted by Sue Stirk
- Wednesday 10th April – 12.30 pm – Lent Lunch hosted by Maureen Hobbs
A sign up sheet will be available at the back of the church and it would be helpful if those who wish to attend would indicate that on the sheet.
Covenanting Churches of Wolverhampton West
The churches within this ecumenical group of churches, of which we are part, take turns to host Lent Lunches on Saturdays. This years are:
- 9th March at the Church at Perton (which we are hosting with them)
- 16th March at Tettenhall Wood URC
- 23rd March at St Michael’s, Tettenhall Parish Centre
- 30th March at Newman Centre, St Thomas, Tettenhall
- 6th April at St Columba’s URC, Finchfield
- 13th April at Good Shepherd, Castlecroft
There are a number of Lent Courses which are open to all. Details are in this leaflet.
Bishop’s Lent Appeal
We will be supporting the Bishop of Lichfield’s Lent Appeal during Lent.
Mental health and wellbeing are issues which face all of us, whether through personal experience or the experiences of our loved ones, colleagues or friends.
This year’s Lent Appeal will support charities which help those suffering trauma both at home and abroad – as well as considering mental health more widely.